Nanoindentation (nano-indent) is a quasi-static mode of nanomechanical analysis used to measure the hardness and reduced elastic modulus of solid samples. It is especially useful for evaluating thin film coatings.
- Quick measurement
- Accesses many mechanical properties through computational analysis
- Hardness test for films greater than 10 nm thick
- Minimal sample preparation required
- Works best for linear, isotropic samples
- Soft materials and adhesives can introduce measurement error
- Interpretation is challenging if films are less than 100 nm and/or surface is rough