Time of Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectroscopy (TOF-SIMS)
Time of flight secondary ion mass spectroscopy (ToF-SIMS) is a highly surface-specific analytical technique used to qualitatively assess the composition of elements and functional groups within the outermost 1-2 nm of a sample.
- Highly surface selective: information depth is 1-2 nm
- Highest trace element / compound sensitivity with detection limit in the ppm and ppb range
- System accommodates insulating and conductive samples
- Non-destructive analysis (outside of depth profiling applications)
- Lateral resolution and mass resolution trade-off: optimizing one reduces the other
- Technique is qualitative: meaning it will not precisely report the ratio of elements or compounds, but rather the relative signal intensity from each mass fragment