X-ray Reflectometry (XRR)
X-ray Reflectometry (XRR) is a non-contact, non-destructive X-ray characterization technique suitable for both amorphous and crystalline materials. It provides refined film thicknesses, densities, and interfacial roughness determinations for film stacks whose approximate chemistries and thicknesses are known.
- Highly sensitive to electron density perpendicular to surface: optimized for thin films
- Works well on crystalline, amorphous, or combination film stacks
- Nondestructive analysis
- Elemental composition of materials should be determined in advance
- Advanced modeling often required to extract critical insights
- Lateral inhomogeneities cannot be incorporated into XRR models